Saturday, December 19, 2009

Rolling Stone's 25 Best Albums of 2009


Oh boy.  Maybe I shouldn't even be commenting on this list.  Unlike Pitchfork's, I can hardly take this one seriously to begin with.

So obviously the contributors to Rolling Stone fucking love U2.  They made U2's latest No Line on the Horizon their #1 album of 2009.  Bruce Springsteen's Working on a Dream is #2.  Ugh. 

I haven't listened to either of these albums, nor do I intend on listening to them.  But I have to believe this is the result of residual love for the band/artist themselves, not reflective of the actual quality of these two albums.  There was so much interesting and awesome music this year...I'd like someone from Rolling Stone to look me in the eyes and say these were the year's two best.


Anyway, good to see Jay-Z's The Blueprint 3 at #4.  I'm far from a hip hop authority, but this was my favorite rap album of the year.  I think it's Jigga's best since The Black Album, it's incredibly listenable from start to finish, and "Empire State of Mind" is a bona fide anthem.  It's the new "New York, New York".

Once again, in the genre of music that I do know pretty well, I don't understand all the love Girls and The xx are getting.  They're both decent debuts, but...I'll have to give these albums one more chance to impress me.

Franz Ferdinand's 3rd album made the list?  Curious.  I absolutely adored their debut when it came out, but they've really fallen off my radar since then.  I listened to the new album once.

A friend of mine told me to check out Monsters of Folk.  The title/concept is pretty amusing.  I'll have to listen to the album at some point.

The full list is here, or after the jump...

25 Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Pt. II
24 Monsters Of Folk - Monsters Of Folk
23 Levon Helm - Electric Dirt
22 Franz Ferdinand - Tonight: Franz Ferdinand
21 Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
20 Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz
19 Bat For Lashes - Two Suns
18 Bob Dylan - Together Through Life
17 Mos Def - The Ecstatic
16 Wilco - Wilco (The Album
15 Girls - Album
14 Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
13 Drake - So Far Gone Mixtape
12 Mastodon - Crack The Skye
11 Pearl Jam - Backspacer
10 Sonic Youth - The Eternal
09 The xx - xx
08 The-Dream - Love Vs. Money
07 Neko Case - Middle Cyclone
06 Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca
05 Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown
04 Jay-Z - The Blueprint 3
03 Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
02 Bruce Springsteen - Working On A Dream
01 U2 - No Line ON The Horizon

No comments: