Monday, December 21, 2009

Kevin Barnes' Favorite Albums of 2009


The British music site Drowned In Sound has a feature with various artists listing their favorite albums of the year, including Kevin Barnes, frontman for the band of Montreal.

of Montreal are one of my favorite bands, so it's not surprising that Kevin and I have similar musical tastes.  Kevin lists two of the albums that made my Top 10 (Animal Collective and Passion Pit), as well as one album I've only started to get into but could definitely be a contender (Dan Deacon).  That leaves Fever Ray and Micachu and the Shapes.  I haven't heard either of these albums.  I need to check 'em out ASAP.

Kevin's comments:

Animal Collective Merriweather Post Pavilion
Like everyone else in the world, I love this album, perfect soundtrack for knife fishing, as well as symbolic theft, not that i do either of those things, just seems like it would work for both.

Dan Deacon Bromst
This is the sound you'd hear if you died of playstation, that is a cause of death, right?

Fever Ray Fever Ray
Vampires who like rainbows like this album and so do i

Passion Pit Manners
Barely asian semi-quad tone electronica, with a touch of old world harmonic maleficence, quite reminiscent of early Robert Horry, but with slightly less emphasis on the perimeter play. The three point shooting is almost identical however.

Micachu and the Shapes Jewellery
She/they top the list of artists i'd love to see live, seems like it would be a thunderdome

I eagerly await the next of Montreal album, which I fully expect to be on my Best of 2010 list this time next year.

1 comment:

Tree said...

Great, I can't wait to hear the ones that are new to us as well!