Tuesday, December 22, 2009

2010 Anticipated Albums

2009 has been a great year for music. It looks like 2010 is gonna pretty sweet too. There are a bunch of albums I'm looking forward to in the new year...




Spoon - Transference

The last LP we got from Spoon is 2007's Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, with fantastic songs like "Don't You Evah", "The Underdog", and "Don't Make Me a Target". This year we got an EP from Spoon called Got Nuffin. It turns out that EP was an appetizer for the new album, with the title track "Got Nuffin" showing up on Transference as well. I didn't think too much of that track at first, but it's definitely grown on me. And now we have the piano-based single "Written in Reverse", which I'm loving. It sounds vaguely menacing and has a cool groove to it. Spoon have been producing solid albums time-after-time for many years now. I don't expect this effort to be any different. One interesting tidbit that I heard is that the band produced this album themselves for the first time.




Yeasayer - Odd Blood
Yeasayer's Odd Blood is the album to beat for 2010, so far. How can I say that? Um, because I've listened to it 7 times already. It's a funny world we live in now where albums are leaked out onto the internet months before their official release. But you've gotta draw the line somewhere, and my Best of 2009 list is already written. This album has a little less folk and world music influence than Yeasayer's All Hour Cymbals, and a little more electro pop and funk. I love All Hour Cymbals, but I don't need another one. I'm happy with the direction Yeasayer have moved in. These are catchy, incredibly listenable tunes. "Ambling Alp", "Madder Red", and "ONE" are early standouts.





MGMT - Congratulations
Even though MGMT were just nominated for a "Best New Artist" Grammy, it seems like ages since their debut Oracular Spectacular came out. In truth, that album was leaked in late 2007 and was officially released in January 2008. At any rate, it definitely seems like an appropriate time to hear something new from the band. Oracular Spectacular was a fittingly spectacular debut from the electro pop duo. "Time to Pretend", "Kids", "The Youth", and "Electric Feel" are all pretty much perfect. But one could point out that there are some filler tracks in between them. I would hope that Congratulations comes together a bit better as a whole album.


Beach House - Teen Dream

Like Yeasayer's Odd Blood, this album has already leaked, even though it doesn't officially come out until January. Beach House play what's described as "dream pop". Their songs are fairly minimal, keyboard and organ based, carried by the strength of singer Victoria Legrand's gorgeous vocals. Teen Dream is really a cut above previous efforts Beach House and Devotion, and takes Beach House's sound to the next level.




Vampire Weekend - Contra
I listened to Vampire Weekend's self-titled debut a bunch when it came out back in January 2008. Too much. I kinda OD'ed on it, and I haven't listened to the band much since. We'll see if their sophomore effort Contra can make me a fan again. I love that album title, reminds me of the classic NES video game.




Arcade Fire

Arcade Fire's debut Funeral is getting lots of love on Best of the Decade lists, and rightfully so. It's one of the defining albums of the decade in indie rock, without a doubt. I don't think their follow-up Neon Bible got the appreciation it deserved. It's darker material, and while not quite as good as Funeral, it's still really, really good. I named it one of my Most Underrated Albums of the Decade. Anyway, Arcade Fire have been off the map for a while now, and I was thrilled to hear they are currently recording their new album. It's supposed to be out in spring, and we should hear the first single pretty early into 2010. I can't wait! Also, Arcade Fire are fucking transcendent live, and a new album means they'll be touring again. Whenever they come to NY again will be a must-see show for me.




Panda Bear
Probably my most anticipated album of 2010 is the new solo album from Animal Collective member Noah Lennox, aka Panda Bear. His previous solo record Person Pitch is absolutely amazing. It rivals even the best AnCo albums.

Noah had this to say about the sound of his new record:

"The rhythms are really basic and kind of raw and simple and are electronic. It's not live instrumentation, I’ve been playing guitar but I feed it through the same thing that the sequences are on. It’s a very electronic sound and very voice heavy. A simple arrangement of drums, the guitar and singing. Really there are only two or three elements to every song. It’s pretty raw sounding for better for worse...The tone is a lot darker (than Person Pitch) and it sounds sort of dramatic or romantic to me. But I’m in still in the thick of the thing so it’s really tough to be objective at this point. So I have no idea, but hopefully people like it. I hope its good."



LCD Soundsystem
LCD Soundsystem, aka James Murphy, really made a fan out of me with his sophomore album Sound of Silver. "North American Scum", "Someone Great", and "All My Friends" are some awesome jams. LCD Soundsystem also put on a great show when I saw him play at Randall's Island with Arcade Fire. So I can't wait for his next record. James is on Facebook and on Twitter, and he's been supplying a steady steam of updates indicating that he's hard at work producing the follow-up to Sound of Silver, and that it'll be released in early 2010.



Lupe Fiasco - Lasers
I've been rediscovering my love for Lupe Fiasco while listening to his new mixtape Enemy of the State. It's great stuff. I love his rap over Radiohead's "The National Anthem". And "Yoga Flame"...so good. The whole mixtape is pretty bangin', and supposedly it's a teaser for his third album Lasers, due out in 2010.



of Montreal - False Priest
of Montreal, one of my all-time favorite bands, released back-to-back fantastic albums in 2007 (Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?) and 2008 (Skeletal Lamping), but they sat 2009 out. The word is they'll be back with a new album in 2010. The title is unconfirmed, but some have been saying it'll be called False Priest. No pressure Kevin, but I expect to be blown away once again.



GZA
In another post, I mentioned that Kevin Barnes from of Montreal has been collaborating with Beyonce and GZA. Not sure where the song he penned for Beyonce will turn up, but supposedly Kevin made a contribution to GZA's new album, which I would expect to see at some point next year.



Madvillain
Rapper DOOM + Producer Madlib = Madvillain. Their album Madvillainy is some really interesting hip hop. Word is they're working on the follow-up. Dave Sitek from TV on the Radio and Mos Def are set to make contributions.



Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
Mos Def is going to contribute to this album too. So are De La Soul. This will be the 3rd record from the cartoon group masterminded by Blur's Damon Albarn.


Radiohead
Thom Yorke had been saying some gibberish about Radiohead no longer producing albums. Not that they would stop making music entirely, but suggesting that perhaps they would just release individual songs online, or EPs, or something like that. Not an absurd model for a band to follow in 2010, surely, but when a band like Radiohead makes such cohesive albums, you'd think they would want to continue doing that. Now there are reports that Radiohead are recording the follow-up to In Rainbows, so it appears we'll see at least one more album from the group.



The Strokes
Things were looking bleak for those awaiting a new album from The Strokes. The band hasn't performed together in years now, and singer Julian Casablancas just released a solo album. However, The Strokes have just lined up dates to play festivals this summer, which all but confirms they'll be releasing a new album.



Wavves
Wavves, aka Nathan Williams, has already released two albums in two years - 2007's Wavves and 2008's Wavvves. You'd think he might want to take a break or ride these two albums for a little while, but reports say Nathan is working on another album. I'm thrilled about that. New songs "Cool Jumper" and "Mickey Mouse" are fucking awesome. More please.



The Dead Weather
Horehound, the debut album from Jack White's band with Alison Mosshart from The Kills, just came out, but Jacks says they're already recording a second album set to come out early next year.



The White Stripes
Nothing's confirmed, and a second Dead Weather record on the way would seem to suggest otherwise, but I think we're gonna get a new White Stripes record at some point in 2010. Here's hoping.



Broken Bells - Broken Bells
James Mercer, lead singer of The Shins + DJ Danger Mouse = Broken Bells.  Broken Bells have offered the lead single "The High Road" for free on their website, and it's really good.  Definitely excited to hear a whole album of their material.  The album is scheduled to be released on March 9.  I've heard that it's just leaked.



OutKast
A new OutKast album should be on the way next year as well.  I'll listen to Big Boi's "Shine Blockas" while I wait.



No Age
No Age released an awesome EP in 2009 called Losing Feeling.  I've heard they're working on a full length follow up to 2008's Nouns for next year.



Owen Pallett - Heartland
The Artist Formerly Known As Final Fantasy, aka Owen Pallett, makes a cool mixture of classical and pop music.  I only recently became a fan (as in, I just started listening to his music days ago), but this album Heartland is good stuff.

No comments: