Friday, December 18, 2009

New Super Mario Bros. Wii


All I want for Christmas is...well, lots of stuff.  But this is the only thing I actually expect to get.

Continuing my "I love classic 2D gaming" theme, New Super Mario Bros. Wii essentially looks like a new version of the SNES classic Super Mario World, one of the best games ever.  It's not that I don't enjoy the 3D Mario entries that have come out in the past decade, because I really do.  Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy are awesome.  Super Mario Sunshine was a bit of a misstep, though it's still lots of fun.

So 3D Mario games are great and all, but they should never stop making games like this, just because they have newer technology.

What's "new" in New Super Mario Bros. Wii?  How about 4-player simultaneous play?  That's...about it.  But cool!  I would LOVE to get this game up on a big screen and play along with 3 players, like I used to do back in college with Mario Party or Halo.

You get to play as Mario, his brother Luigi, or...one of two generic Toad characters.  If there's one negative thing I can say about this game, it's that the character selection reeks of laziness.  Well they couldn't make Yoshi a playable character, because as you can see from that cover, they be riding Yoshis.  But Princess Peach would have been the obvious choice, mimicking the character selection from Super Mario Bros. 2.  But even if not the princess, c'mon, you could've let people play as Wario or something.  It's not that hard.

That complaint aside, I can't wait to play this.



You can read IGN's review of the game here.

*Update*

The game is really fun so far.  There ARE a few new things about the game that I neglected to mention.  There are new power-ups.  You've got your traditional fire flower, of course, but now there's an ice flower too, that allows you to freeze your enemies into blocks of ice that you can stand on, pick up, or crush.  There's a propeller cap that allows you to spin up into the air and hover.  And there's a Penguin Suit, which similar to the Frog Suit from Super Mario Bros. 3, allows for graceful swimming through water.

No comments: