Saturday, December 26, 2009

2009 Albums I May Have Missed

Whether it's an album I already knew about but have started to appreciate more the more I listen to it, or someone I never even heard of until I saw their album on somebody else's "best of" list, there are a number of really good albums I may have missed when putting together my best albums of the year.



Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... Pt. II
There are two awesome Wu-Tang related albums released in 2009 that I'm only really starting to listen to now.  Here's one.



Ghostface Killah - Ghostdini the Wizard of Poetry in Emerald City
And here's another.



Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
I've had this album by the French band Phoenix for a while and the singles "Lisztomania" and "1901" were frequently included on my playlists, but I didn't go much further than that.  Those two songs start off the album.  Now I've been listening to the whole album and it's stellar pop all the way through.



Micachu - Jewellery
I had to check this out when I saw it on Kevin Barnes' list of his favorite albums of the year.  I was not disappointed.  Even though her name kinda sounds like she should be a Pokemon.  This is really interesting and original electronic beat based music.



Fever Ray - Fever Ray
I picked up this album on Kevin Barnes' recommendation as well.  It's the solo debut of the singer from The Knife.  I'm diggin' it.



Dan Deacon - Bromst
Chipmunk vocals, chimes/bells, and electronics.  It all comes together for some gloriously weird music.  I still need some time and further listening to fully absorb this album, but I know I like it.



Rubblebucket - Rubblebucket
I caught this band at the Wormtown music festival in MA for the first time and loved 'em.  They were called Rubblebucket Orchestra back then.  Not sure why they dropped the "Orchestra" part, but whatever.  I caught 'em again at a venue in Northampton, MA, and now I've been listening to their album.  I'm not sure if this will crack my Top 10, but it's really good, fun, funky music.  "Don't Exaggerate" is an awesome song.



Neon Indian - Psychic Chasms
This is some super chill music right here.  Listen to "Should Have Taken Acid With You" and drift away.

No comments: