Thursday, June 17, 2010

Wavves - Post Acid

Wavves are back.  New album King of the Beach will drop on August 3.  That colorful image with the chill lion creature smoking a J above will be the album cover.

Here's the tracklisting for the record:

01. King of the Beach
02. Super Soaker
03. Idiot
04. When Will You Come?
05. Post Acid
06. Take on the World
07. Baseball Cards
08. Convertible Balloon
09. Green Eyes
10. Mickey Mouse
11. Linus Spacehead
12. Baby Say Goodbye

I see "Mickey Mouse" on there, but where the hell is "Cool Jumper"?!  I love that song.  Frowny face.

Anyway, our first taste of King of the Beach is "Post Acid", and it comes to us courtesy of the Mountain Dew 'record company' Green Label Sound.  First Neon Indian, then Wavves, who's next, Mountain Dew?  Maybe I'm biased because I happen to love Mountain Dew, but I have absolutely no problem with my indie bands releasing music this way, it's cool.  Songs are offered for free, and they aren't 'tarnished' by being part of a commerical or whatever.


Considering that the production on previous record Wavvves was so rough that it was characterized by the term 'no-fi', damn this song sounds clean!  I'm totally cool with this too.  I loved Wavvves, but nowadays when the songs show up randomly on my iTunes DJ, the rough sound can be really harsh.  I'm ready to move on and hear what kind of record Nathan can produce in a studio, rather than his bedroom.  "Post Acid" is catchy and fun, I dig it.

You can listen to/download "Post Acid" from GLS here.

No comments: