Friday, June 18, 2010

MGMT - It's Working (Video)



I really don't care one way or the other how 'controversial' an opinion this may be, but MGMT's Congratulations easily holds my top spot for album of the year so far.  Yeasayer's Odd Blood, Caribou's Swim, LCD Soundsystem's This Is Happening, and Wolf Parade's Expo 86 probably round out the Top 5.

I love "Time to Pretend", "Kids", and "Electrical Feel" as much as the next person, but pound-for-pound, Congrats is by far the superior album over Oracular Spectacular.  I've heard it said that MGMT are trying to fit too many ideas into single songs, which is quite possibly the dumbest criticism I've ever heard.  Oh no, too many ideas, I can't take it!  The album is totally more psychedelic freak out and less cool electro pop, and for that reason I can understand some negative reactions.  But I love this shit.

Anyway, even someone who doesn't love Congratulations could probably still love "It's Working", it's an awesome tune.  There's a lot of energy, and it's cool the way the chorus seems to flow into itself, if that makes sense.  "It's working in the blood.  But you know it's not the same as love, it's only in your mind, and not your heart.  It's working in the blood...".  And so on.

The MGMT boys have made a video for "It's Working", featuring a crazy contraption that gets out of control.  Check it out.

No comments: