Friday, January 28, 2011

Yeasayer - Live At Ancienne Belgique Review


Explaining the band name Yeasayer to a friend: "You know how there are naysayers? Well..."

Yeasayer released Live At Ancienne Belgique on Christmas Day 2010. You can download it straight from their website, and like with Radiohead and Progressive Insurance, you are free to name your own price.

"Dear Wonderful Fans, To celebrate the close of 2010, your amazing support, and numerous requests, we have decided to unlock the Yeasayer vault and release this live show recorded at the lovely Ancienne Belgique in Brussels. We are letting you, the fans, name the price. See you in 2011. – Much Love, Yeasayer"


Yeasayer's sophomore record Odd Blood was one of my favorite albums from last year. Others didn't like the record quite as much. A common criticism is that it's uneven. I don't quite buy it, as I find the record to be an incredibly enjoyable listen from start-to-finish. If that's what you thought though, Live At Ancienne Belgique gives you the best material from Odd Blood, along with highlights from their debut record All Hour Cymbals, in a different package. The live performances are great, and the recording is high quality.

01) Madder Red
The familiar opening chords, with a bit of a looping effect. The sound of a cheering crowd to remind you that you're listening to a live record.

"It's getting hard to keep pretending I'm worth your time."


The chanting vocals kick in and give me a surge of joy. I love this song.

02) Rome
A fun stomper of a track, I consider this another Odd Blood highlight.

"Rome is gonna be mine. It's just a matter of time."

Whereas the performance of "Madder Red" improved upon the Odd Blood version with those chanting vocals, the beat that forms the backbone for "Rome" is a bit a muted here, and not quite as effective as it is on record. I like the way they mix it up with a stop-and-start effect towards the end though.

03) Wait for the Summer
Alright, time for a classic from their debut record. A drawn out hazy droning effect starts us off.

"We wait for the summer, we'll sleep when we wanna. Don't tell your mother."

Our two vocalists sound absolutely wonderful here. Powerful, and they unite so well. The extra emphasis on the "Sink into the river!" line really works.

After the song, we get some banter. Brussels is a beautiful city, thank you very much, blah, blah, blah.

04) Tightrope
Tightrope! Yeasayer's most notable non-album track (from the Dark Was the Night compilation) has a home. The band plays around with a weird insect noise for a bit before the song really starts. It's just starting to get annoying when we're hit with the opening synth chords, and I'm in heaven.


"So you're wishing that you never did all the embarrassing things that you've done. And you're wishing you could set it right. And you're wishing you could stay the night. But then I go again, wishing never solved the problem. If you wanna get it big time, go ahead and get it big time."

One of the band's best songs, this performance does not disappoint.

05) Red Cave
This a feel good song, kind of meandering along. What positive lyrics!

"I'm so blessed to have spent the time with my family and my friends I love with my short life I have met so many people I deeply care for."

Once again, the vocals break out, and are delivered even stronger than on the All Hour Cymbals version.

06) Grizelda
The closing track for Odd Blood. Not sure if this would be considered a highlight, but really, I love most tracks off that album. This version doesn't deviate much from the version of the record. Those flute sounds are a bit more striking here though.

07) Sunrise
Major All Hour Cymbals highlight. Has that vaguely mystical 'in the desert' kind of sound that the band cultivated more in their debut. They get a beat going first, and then the intro for the song starts to creep in, before the drums and keyboards really kick things off.

Another strong performance. Some more banter: a few years ago, the band played the 'little room' in the same venue, and never thought they'd be playing the main stage. Of course now they are.

08) Mondegreen
This is one of those weirder songs off Odd Blood that I'd imagine isn't as well liked. But it's gloriously weird! I love it. That guitar riff is delicious. Some more stomping and some staccato type vocals. Are those trumpets towards the end?

09) Strange Reunions
Boy do I relate to the lyrics of this song. Friendships with my exes have been a strain on my life for years now.

"Don't ask me for any favors, and I won't ask how you're doing. Leave me alone now, 'cause after all now, living with you is a nuisance."

The band thanks Suckers for opening for them. I've never listened to that band - I guess I should.

10) O.N.E.
Easily one of the best songs off of Odd Blood, this one is undeniable. Awesome sparkling sound effect, clanging drums.

"Hold me like before, hold me like you used to, control me like you used to. NO! You don't move me anymore. And I'm glad that you don't, 'cause I can't hang it anymore".

The crowd claps along. This song is so much fun and jam packed with energy, all of which is expertly delivered in this performance.

11) Ambling Alp
Yeasayer close out their regular set with the first single from Odd Blood. It's an anthem.

We start with a trickling water effect. Some chanting and clanging. Then a howl, and some groovy guitar.

"You must stick up for yourself, son. Never mind what anybody else done."

The live performance contributes to the general epicness of this song. Once again, the flute sounds are striking, and add a nice touch.

12) The Children
This is an odd choice for the encore. Sung entirely in a robotic voice, "The Children" is the Odd Blood opener, and works there for setting the tone and warming you up for "Ambling Alp". Here the order is reversed, and it's not quite as effective.

13) 2080
Now that's more like it. Perfect song to finish with. "2080" grooves and then explodes.

"It's a new year, I'm glad to be here. It's a fresh spring, so let's sing. In 2080, I'll surely be dead, so don't look ahead, never look ahead."

I desperately needed a live version of this song. There's no cute children's chorus to mimic the vocals at the end, but our vocalists' intensity here more than makes up for it.

Finally
A welcome Christmas gift from one of my favorite bands. I wish all the bands I listened to released a live record like this. Live At Ancienne Belgique gives me an alternative to the two studio records, and further fuels my love for the band.

No comments: