Thursday, April 15, 2010

LCD Soundsystem

It's been an LCD Soundsystem week, for sure.  I caught James Murphy and co. at Music Hall of Williamsburg last Thursday 4/8.  James made a point of telling us that what we were experiencing could barely be considered a show - it was "practice", seeing as the gap between this show and the last time they performed was as large as the span from their first show as a band to their most recent.

You certainly couldn't tell from the performance - they fucking brought it.  Tribulations, Losing My Edge, Daft Punk Is Playing at My House, All My Friends, and Someone Great all got played.  They closed with New York, I Love You, But You're Bringing Me Down, which was fantastic.  No North American Scum though - whatcha gonna do?

Two new songs - Drunk Girls, which I already knew, and Change, which I didn't.

Now the album has leaked and I'm familiar with all the new stuff.  The record's amazing.  I'll wait for time to pass before determining its position in the LCD Soundystem canon, but it's fucking great.

Change is super catchy - I can totally see it becoming a hit.  Pow Pow is a fantastic 'talk over a beat' song in the mold of Losing My Edge.  Opener Dance Yrself Clean and Hit are early favorites of mine.

Stream This Is Happening here.

No comments: