Thursday, July 15, 2010

Wolf Parade @ Terminal 5 - 7/13

Wolf Parade put on an epic fucking show Tuesday night @ Terminal 5.  They played a lot of new material from Expo 86, and it sounded great.  "I'll Believe In Anything", standout from the band's debut Apologies to the Queen Mary, got the most enthusiastic audience reaction.  But I'd say "Fine Young Cannibals", from overlooked-initially-but-is-probably-really-their-best-album At Mount Zoomer, was the 'finest' performance of the night.

I made one song request from each of their three albums (via Twitter), and all three were met!  Not that I think I had anything to do with it, but I got my wish!  My picks were "Dear Sons and Daughters of Hungry Ghosts", "Kissing the Beehive", and "Pobody's Nerfect" (definitely my favorite cut from Expo 86 so far).

"We built this city on cocaine lasers"

I'm gonna have to get more ambitious with my wishlist next time, with some non-album cuts - "Bones", "Killing Armies", and "Lousy Pictures".  I'd REALLY love to hear "Bones" - why the fuck hasn't this amazing song been recorded for an album yet?

I had a few people who I told about the show ask me what the band sounds like, and..."there's one dude who plays keyboard and has a yelpy Bowie vocal delivery, and another dude who plays guitar and has more of a barking voice, and there's MASSIVE energy in the air as they battle each other for supremacy of the audience"...something like that.

Soldier’s Grin

What Did my Lover Say? (It Always Had To Go This Way)
Palm Road
Dear Sons and Daughters of Hungry Ghosts
Ghost Pressure
In the Direction of the Moon
Fine Young Cannibals
Cave-o-Sapien
This Heart’s on Fire
I’ll Believe in Anything
Little Golden Age
California Dreamer
Pobody’s Perfect

Encore:

Cloud Shadow on the Mountain
Shine A Light
Kissing the Beehive

Thanks go to Consequence of Sound for the photo and setlist.

No comments: