Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Wavves @ Music Hall of Williamsburg Tonight

Going to see Wavves tonight at one of my favorite venues, Music Hall of Williamsburg.  I have high hopes for an awesome show.  I've become a huge fan of Wavves in the past year and half or so, and their new record King of the Beach is one of my favorites to come out in 2k10.

I've heard a few less than stellar reactions to Wavves live shows in the past, but I think the situation has improved greatly since Nathan picked up Jay Reatard's (R.I.P.) former band.  MGMT weren't the greatest live band when they started either, but they really impressed me at Radio City Music Hall last month (definitely not one of my favorite venues, btw). 

In this day + age, bands become famous (blog famous at least) before they have the live chops.  It's gonna happen.  All you need to do is generate a few halfway decent MP3s in your bedroom to get some serious attention.  A band might be thrust into the spotlight before they've truly earned it, but that doesn't mean they won't earn it over time.

Anyway, Wavves!  Their music is so much fun, and I hope the live show will match.  I fully expect to be able to pick up a Wavves brand weed grinder, and will be very disappointed if they're not at the merchandise table.  A shirt with that cat on the cover of King of the Beach would be pretty sweet too. 

My number one song request is "Cool Jumper".  I also want to hear "Baby Say Goodbye", "Mickey Mouse", "Weed Demon", "No Hope Kids", "So Bored"...I pretty much want to hear all the material from their last two records, so it's pointless to continue the list.  But definitely "Cool Jumper".

*UPDATE* The show was awesome.  A whole lot of fun.  There was actually a mosh pit!  I threw myself in there towards the end, let off some steam.  High energy, got my head banging almost every song.  King of the Beach heavy (no problem with that whatsoever) with a few Wavvves standouts.  They left me wanting more - no encore, no "Cool Jumper".  And no grinders, goddammit.  That was very disappointing.  There was actually a little cardboard sign on the merch table that read "Sorry, no grinders".  Nonetheless, I can't wait to see them again.

No comments: