Monday, January 04, 2010

New of Montreal Album


Stereogum have issued a progress report on the status of the new of Montreal album.  As I start to read it, I realize just how excited I am to hear new material from this band.  I'm sure the new Panda Bear record will be awesome, but...after the recent EP Fall Be Kind, I'm still gorging on Animal Collective.  But it feels like I've lived an entire lifetime since of Montreal's last album.  This is my most anticipated album of 2010, easily.  (Yeasayer's fantastic second album Odd Blood, which I've now listened to over a dozen times, doesn't count, even if it doesn't officially come out 'til February)

Frontman Kevin Barnes says he's wavering between calling the new record False Priest or The Controller Sphere.  They're both good choices, I'm not sure which I like better.  Apparently Kevin is determined to title all of his records with lyrics from the song "Faberge Falls for Shuggie" from now on.  The title for 2008's Skeletal Lamping was also a phrase pulled from there.

Anyway, the album is going to be produced by Jon Brion.  Kevin is planning to have a bigger band for future live shows (10 or so musicians) and is guiding the sound of the record accordingly.  70's funk and R&B serve as inspiration.  Cameos from Solange Knowles, Janelle Monae, and "one or two other people" will be included.

The record is due in August or September...shit that's a long wait.  I need something to make me happy now, dammit.

No comments: